Sunday, March 20, 2011

SPEEDway



The other night I had to make an emergency trip out to get a newspaper and some Sudafed as I had left the crossword puzzle at work and my nose was stuffy.




My new strategy to stave off Alzheimer's is doing the crossword puzzle every day.




I was thinking about going to UDF but as I was driving I noticed the Speedway station was closer so I pulled into the parking lot with my money in hand. I rarely, if ever go to Speedway, I might mention.




The first thing I noticed was the plethora of older model rust infested cars in the lot.



As I opened the door, the smell of cigarette smoke hit me immediately.





And then there was the LINE.



Not a line of people buying say, snacks or soft drinks.




No, this was a line of people buying lottery tickets.




Wait, that is not accurate. They were deciding which tickets to buy and were engaged in long, stupid conversations with the clerk who looked as though his IQ had at most two digits.





After waiting 15 minutes while the first woman with her small unkempt daughter (who also had a runny nose) made up her mind another store clerk took pity on me and offered to take my money at the other register. But quick as a wink the next man in line ran over to that register and insisted he be served as he was in line next. His purchase took only 10 minutes.



Finally I was able to pay for my paper. The next two people in line behind me had bottles of fortified malt beverages of some sort and also wanted to buy lottery tickets as well as cigarettes.



I went out to get into my car and was nearly sideswiped by a feral woman driving an old Chevy Malibu. I was still parked but she was evidently in a very big hurry to get into the parking space beside me, accuracy be damned.



She threw her cigarette butt on the ground near the gas pumps.

I decided I should go elsewhere to get my Sudafed that I need for my meth making, oops I mean stuffy nose.




I hope at least one of those people bought a winning ticket that night.




And how was YOUR evening?